WHY BUY OUR COPPER PRODUCTS?
We sell only quality hand-hammered copper products. All of our copper products are personally inspected prior to shipment for quality and beauty. Every product is carefully packed to insure a safe arrival. Every product is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
The element copper is a completely natural material. It has been used for making jewelry, weapons, tools, and vessels for over 5,000 years. Our products are made of 98% -99% (1% zinc and trace amounts of iron) pure recycled copper in the Mexican state of Michoacán, where coppersmiths have worked this precious and useful metal for over 500 years. We do not use 100% pure copper because that would be needlessly expensive, and because 100% pure copper will not take a patina in the same way recycled copper will. We have had our recycled copper professionally analyzed for content by Luvak, Inc of Boylston, MA. The results indicate that the recycled copper we use is 98%-99% pure with trace amounts of iron and 1.78% zinc.
Our products are hand-hammered by individual artisans from a sheet of recycled copper that has been melted and rolled in local foundries. The process combines pre-hispanic, colonial, and modern techniques to produce a product that is completely unique in color and hammer pattern. The hammered pattern of our products adds not only long lasting beauty but strength to each product.
The beauty of unpolished copper in a sink or other copper product is unsurpassed. Its colors are rich, profound, and varied. Climate, heat, and type of wood used in firing influence the natural resulting colors of our products. The colors of natural copper change overtime, as the “patina” ages. Our artisans do not use selenium dioxide or lacquer to produce or retard the patina of their products.
UNWAXED copper has an inherent aversion to growth of many kinds of bacteria (see: antibacterial qualities of copper). Its antibacterial properties kill certain dangerous bacteria namely Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE), Staphylococcus aureus, Enterobacter aerogenes, E. Coli O157:H7, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (“MRSA”) much more rapidly than do stainless steel or porcelain surfaces when cleaned regularly. The Copper Development Association has recently clarified that only copper products that are free of any sealant retain their antibacterial qualities (see: CDA clarification). This is why Mexican Home Art gives its customers a choice in finishes. If this quality is essential to you, you can choose a product that is free of wax (i.e., we will send it without wax), the only finish we use on our products. We send our products waxed, but the wax can be simply washed off, with hot water and soap.
The continuous reduction of bacterial contamination and the residual self-sanitizing activity abilities of copper were discovered using the sanitizer efficacy testing method which have been recognized by the E.P.A. Similar results were found during trials by the Medical University of South Carolina for the US Army Medical Research and Material Command (USAMRMC).
Copper products are easy to maintain and last a lifetime.
The coppersmiths with which we work are true artisans. In each shop they are given the time and tools to produce the best. Every product is thoroughly reviewed with a 15 point checklist. As we review every product we look for detail in fabrication. Even the tiniest unsatisfactory detail is returned to the shop floor to be corrected.
* We have had our copper analyzed for content to insure the purity of the copper.
* Calibration- When we say our products are 16 gauge, you can count on it. We calibrate every copper sheet that comes to the shop. Any sheet that doesn’t meet the standard is returned to the foundry.
* Hammering- We do not hurry the hammering or spread out the blows to accelerate production. Those who hammer are skilled in hammering.
* Welds- Our smooth, strong, and regular welds are done with pure copper rod.
* Patina- Our patinas are entirely heat-raised. There is no paint or stain to wear off. The color of the copper is natural. We do not use laquer or varnish on our tables as these have a tendency to start flaking. There is no way to repair this problem.
* Smoothness- Underneath the tabletop we grind, sand, and beat each corner and edge carefully, leaving it smooth and well-pitched. Where copper meets wood we carefully file those edges to remove all sharp spurs and burrs to avoid cutting fingers.
* Reinforcements- Our under table reinforcements are especially designed to fit to any table base whether ours or yours. You never need to modify your table top to fit your base.
* Customer service- We are available to take your calls at (866) 216-1595, and will answer any questions you have about our copper products. We fully guarantee every shipment to you, and will always answer you on issues of care, further use of copper, or price.